Marble finished with a high polish is not considered suitable for a kitchen bench top application because the polish is extremely vulnerable to abrasive action or spillages of acidic substances. While a honed finished is equally vulnerable, it is also more “forgiving” and on this basis many choose honed marble as a kitchen, vanity and table tops finish.
Washing & Cleaning:
Regular maintenance in the form of periodic washing with warm, clean potable water. Dry buffing on completion with a course fabric will be helpful to remove wash marks. Availability of special cleaning fabrics, (“Enjo”), allows washing or wiping with less risk of streaks or wash marks, (see recommendation below). If necessary to use a detergent it is important that it be a neutral product. Mild phosphate free biodegradable liquid dish soaps, are acceptable if rinsing is thorough on completion. Alternatively use Johnsons “View Quick” non rinse Cleaner (see recommendation below). (Do not use Ajax or Jiff or other aggressive cleaning products).
Enjo Approach: Daily maintenance can be made easy and environmentally friendly by use of “Method Daily Granite” or “Method Go Naked” surface cleaner, (more for cases where cutting grease or grime is required). (See recommendation below).
Option specific to stone industry: An additional product option produced specifically for the marble industry is “Lithofin Easy Clean” for daily maintenance or “Lithofin Power Clean” for removal of difficult marks, (see recommendation below).
All honed marble, travertine & limestone tops installed by Bernini Stone and Tiles have been sealed with a penetrating sealer. This sealer does not change the appearance of the material or leave a film on the surface. While the product is extremely effective it does not provide resistance to acidic substances (e.g. alcohol or citrus juice).
Tops should be resealed on a 6 to 12 monthly basis depending on the type of use.
Maintenance and general protection:
Please note that the sealing referred to above deals specifically with the porosity of the material and minimizes any risk of staining but does not actually provide any protection for the honed surface from scratching, abrasion or attack from acidic substances. To protect the honed surface we recommend regular application of “Delta Pulsar” (see recommendation below), a wax based polish that will enhance and protect the surface. During application the “Pulsar” tends to dry quickly leaving application marks. These are best removed and the surface polished with a fine grade steel wool. Some marbles e.g. black or high quality white will scratch with steel wool and a coarse fabric or polishing pad should be used instead (if in doubt contact one of our staff to discuss). In the event that the “Delta Pulsar” wax is used on a regular basis, resealing with “Lithofin Stain Stop” is no longer required as the wax effectively seals the surface.
In the event that a honed marble top is neglected or exposed to excessive use it is always possible to rejuvenate the surface finish by requesting a suitable marble and granite contractor to re-hone the tops. A resin application which is suitable for normal kitchen use as well as acid resistant, can be applied but is not a component of our standard quotation for marble benchtops unless specifically requested. For further information on this product, see recommendation below for “Clearstone-WA”.
- Synergy: consolidates/hardens softer or more porous stone, assists in prevention of salt attack and or corrosion and gives water/stain repellent quality. Penetrating Sealer with no change to appearance or residue on surface. Particularly suitable for all external stone. Not suitable for “bluestone” or basalt products.
- Tuscan: water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer with no change to appearance or residue on surface. Suitable for internal use.
- Penetrating Plus: water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer with no change to appearance or residue on surface. Suitable for internal use, (similar product to Tuscan but more economical format for applications where minimizing cost is a priority).
- Pinnacle: Enhance colour, water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer, darkens colour & leaves no residue on surface. Suitable for internal or external use, (can be combined with Synergy for additional protection against salt attack and hardening benefits).
- Endure: Surface Sealer & Enhance. Alters appearance due to surface film. Suitable for internal areas.
- Highlight: Surface Sealer & Penetrating. Alters appearance due to surface film. Suitable for internal areas.
- Lithofin MN Stain Stop: water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer with no change to appearance or residue on surface. Suitable for internal or external use.
- Lithofin MN Colour Intensifier: Enhance colour, water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer, darkens colour & leaves no residue on surface. Suitable for internal or external use
Spirit Marble and Tile Care
- Premium Seal: Solvent based penetrating sealer, designed for higher porosity natural stone and tiles. Suitable for concrete and pavers, slate, honed natural stone. Suitable for external use.
- Hard Surface Seal: Solvent based penetrating sealer, designed for low porosity natural stone and tiles. Suitable for polished natural stone.Suitable for internal and external use.
- Natural Paving Seal: Solvent based penetrating sealer, designed for high porosity natural, stone tiles and pavers. Suitable for concrete and pavers. Suitable for internal and external use.
- Uni Seal: Topical sealer, designed for natural stone tiles and borders, concrete pavers and driveways. Suitable for concrete and pavers, slate, honed natural stone. Suitable for internal and external use.
- Enviro Range: Water based Premium Seal: Water based penetrating sealer Suitable for concrete and pavers, slate, polished natural stone, honed natural stone. Suitable for internal and external use..
- Enviro Range: Pre Seal: Pre-sealing treatment. Stabilizes stone against watermarking. Suitable for concrete and pavers, slate, honed natural stone. Suitable for internal and external use.
- Enviro Range: Glossy Seal: High gloss acrylic surface sealer.Suitable for slate and honed natural stone. Suitable for internal and external use.
- Drytreat Stain Proof: water/stain repellent. Penetrating Sealer with no change to appearance or residue on surface. Suitable for internal or external use.
- Drytreat Enhance Plus: Enhance colour, water/stain repellent.Penetrating Sealer, darkens colour & leaves no residue on surface.Suitable for internal or external use
- Drytreat 40SK: Is a Penetrating Sealer for protection from, damage caused by water and salts, plus helps to consolidate friable surfaces. Leaves no surface film or residue.
Suitable for internal or external use.
This is a Surface Sealer in the form of an emulsified wax. Protects the floor from acidic attack, if spillages not left for any length of time, and also general deterioration from foot traffic. Once buffed, leaves the floor with an appealing, medium level polish/sheen. Easily maintained at household level by adding “cap” full of wax to washing water each time floor is washed. Can be buffed at any time manually, or by machine to improve gloss, general appearance & continuity of surface finish. For Internal application only.
- For further clarification on the suitability of any of the above products for a given application please contact the manufacturer direct.
- For surface sealers in commercial applications please refer to one of our showroom consultants.
- For an application contractor please refer to our list of application contractors.